Agri chief orders ban on pork from Japan due to African swine fever

MANILA — Agriculture Secretary Emmanuel Piñol ordered on Sunday a ban on the entry of pork and pork products from Japan after reports that the African swine fever (ASF) has spread in the East Asian nation.

“I have alerted the Bureau of Animal Industry (BAI) through Undersecretary for Policy and Planning Segfredo Serrano to immediately impose a ban on the entry of pork and other pork products from Japan following reports of its spread in that country,” Piñol said in a statement on his Facebook page.

Piñol also ordered all quarantine officers in all ports of entry to “implement this directive immediately.”

“The quarantine officers are also advised to review their quarantine protocols, including the foot baths installed at the ports of entry and the monitoring of all meat products being brought into the country by tourists,” he said.

Seven cases of ASF in Japan have been confirmed from October of last year to January, according to a report from the Japan News of the Yomiuri Shimbun.

Importing pork products from countries such China, Hungary, Belgium, Latvia, Poland, Romania, Russia, Ukraine, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Moldova, South Africa, and Zambia have been banned since September last year due to ASF.

— With a report from Jeffrey Hernaez, ABS-CBN News

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.