MANILA – Construction on a new casino-resort in Boracay will
start next year, its developers said Wednesday, as they signed
a provisional license with the gaming regulator.
Macau casino giant Galaxy Entertainment and its Filipino
partner, Leisure and Resorts World Corp, are building a $500
million integrated resort on a 23-hectare property.
— Michelle Krystle Ong (@michelle_d_ong)
March 21, 2018
The government is planning a closure of Boracay to tourists
this year to give way to a massive cleanup. President Rodrigo
Duterte had likened the pollution to a “cesspool.”
Construction will take 3 years and will generate “hundreds of
jobs,” Galaxy vice chairman Francis Lui said. The joint venture
expects $100 million in gaming revenues from the project once
it is operational, he said.
“What excited us, one of the reasons, has to be the new airport
which has been built last year, giving direct access to
international market to bring in some high-end customers,” Lui
Galaxy had consulted PAGCOR on the project as early as July
last year, said Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corp
chairperson Andrea Domingo.
Domingo said the integrated resort would be built on “raw
land.” She earlier said that Galaxy had assured Duterte during
a recent meeting that the company would preserve the
“I don’t think they would risk losing that investment by
dumping filth in front of their property,” she said.
Leisure and Resorts World founder Alfredo Benitez, an incumbent
congressman, said he expected Galaxy to preserve the
environment like it did in its projects in Macau and Hong Kong.