Search for next Supreme Court chief starts

MANILA- The Judicial and Bar Council convened on Monday to
begin searching for ousted Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno’s
replacement at the Supreme Court.

Applicants for the top post in the high tribunal have until
July 26 to submit requirements to the JBC.

The most senior of the justices are automatically nominated:
Acting Chief Justice Antonio Carpio and Associate Justices
Teresita De Castro, Diosdado Peralta, and Lucas Bersamin.

Carpio said last week that he would
decline the nomination

Associate Justice Presbitero Velasco Jr. is no longer in the
running since he will retire on August 8, the JBC said.

The Supreme Court, in an unprecedented move, removed Sereno on
May 11 by granting a “quo warranto” petition, which cited her
alleged failure to fully disclose her wealth when she applied
for the chief justice post in 2012.

The high court last week affirmed the decision and announced
the start of the 90-day period for the selection of Sereno’s
replacement.

-report from Ina Reformina, ABS-CBN News

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.